Podiatry care of your children
Care of the feet of children
Since the beginning of the life we are given healthy feet, but feet are the forgotten and then have problems with development and abuse to which we submit them. “People seldom use of proper footwear and that makes 75% and 80% of the adult population has a problem in the foot” – said the foot doctor in Newark.
Unfortunately, frequently tips on these problems not been seeking until they are already irreversible or very complicated to solve. It is clear that attention in the early years of training is very important and can save many problems in adulthood. The foot is a true wonder of the “biological engineering” and its complexity can be understood perfectly. We just have to think that the bones of the feet account for one-eighth of all that there is in the body. The foot is able to propel the body and protects it from mechanical shocks and tensions throughout life.
Early development of the foot
At the time of birth and the first year or so of life, babies toes are very different in many aspects of an adult.First of all they have a different way, being more broadband in the front part of the foot and narrow heel, with the often curved toes. Secondly, the bones are not developed and at this stage it consists of nothing more than cartilage, so they are soft and flexible. This is the reason why young children can do things without your feet suffer no harm at all.
The 26 bones in each foot develop gradually throughout the early years, becoming basically bones at the age of 7-8 years. At this point the toes have usually already straightened. However, they do not develop fully until the end of adolescence.
Early care of feet
It is very important to let the baby’s feet to develop in the most natural way possible. You should encourage your baby to walk barefoot at home and outdoors (whenever possible) and prevent constrictions from clothing. In this way, the muscles of the feet and legs will begin to be strengthened and will be ready for when you begin to walk.
Babies and young children feet grow at an alarming rate (often exceeding the family economy). That is why it is important to take into account the size of the socks, shoes and, in particular, one-piece garments (such as some pyjamas). If these items start to be adjusted, it is necessary to buy new ones so your feet can grow uninhibitedly. In the case of clothing parts, they can be cut.
First steps of your baby
When baby takes the first steps, it becomes a great moment for parents and is also undoubtedly an achievement for the child. As a parent, you should resist the temptation to rush to buy the first pair of shoes.Babies feet are flat and at this stage, they are still designed to work barefoot.
You should not force a child to walk ahead of time. They will do this when they are ready and the age varies greatly among babies, first steps occur between 10 and 18 months, however, even if they do after this age, does not necessarily mean that something goes wrong.
In the early stages of the walk, the shoes are unnecessary. In fact, it is desirable to allow the baby to walk barefoot and strengthen the muscles of the feet. Obviously, there to make sure there is nothing on the floor that can damage the feet and make sure the area is clean to minimize the risk of infection. Once the baby is ready to go outside, the protection of shoes is necessary. Buy a shoe of good quality, with at least the leather uppers.
Make sure that socks fit well also. As stated before, too tight will be restrictive and too loose could also cause problems. Always leave a reasonable amount of space in the shoe for future growth.
The feet of the children are not too sensitive and very flexible so often do not complain of the areas of pressure or friction. Therefore, it is important to check their feet regularly (for example in the bath time).
Common problems and anxieties
Mothers often worry because your baby seems to be walking with flat feet. In the early stages of development, which is normal and gives them a more stable base until the legs and feet have been strengthened. Flat foot seems to persist in an infant and apparently causing problems, see a Podiatrist, who will be able to advise if appropriate exercises or corrective templates you might need.
If your child seems to stumble a bit more than normal, then it must be observed how steps to see if you may be having any physical difficulty. Sometimes these difficulties are a variation in the development of the hip and it is recommended to visit a doctor or Podiatrist. They will be able to offer the appropriate advice.
Leather shoes are adapted to the shape of the foot, so it should never change is among children, since the shape can be totally inadequate and even cause harm. Here are some simple tips:
Tips for feet of babies
- Replaces shoes with a larger size, as soon as necessary.
- Teach children to put the heels remains to walking. If they do wrong, this will affect the entire body and its balance.
- Feet for at least two to three times a week you bathe in warm water.
- Cut nails of the feet in a straight line. Not redondees the corners.
- Corns and calluses require professional care, since they may be symptoms of a more serious disease of the foot.
- Toenails are usually caused by a bad cut, but there may be congenital curvature, injury, shoes and socks, ill-fitting, fungi and orthopedic problems that are contributing factors.
- Keep shoes for children in good condition.
- It provides a healthy and balanced diet.
- Teach children to practice daily hygiene to guard against athlete’s foot. Once the infection is contracted to not try the treatment without professional advice.
- Seek professional help as soon as possible, if the child has knee joints or legs or arched feet. These defects may be the result of other foot problems. Many of these conditions can be corrected easily if cared for well is given in the early stages
- Make that the feet of the children are examined at regular intervals by a Podiatrist.
- Remember that the foot health begins in childhood and a child’s feet should serve you for a lifetime.Your life will be happier if you help him to develop strong and healthy feet as they grow to maturity.